What is Navy Hill?
Rich in History
The Navy Hill neighborhood was named as a tribute to naval victories during the War of 1812. By the early 1900s, it had become a thriving African American community. Navy Hill School was the first Richmond public school to employ black teachers, and Maggie L. Walker was among its many graduates.
Major construction tore the neighborhood apart. It started in the 1950s, with construction of Interstate 95, and continued through the 1970s, when the Richmond Coliseum and conference center were built. While that construction secured a place for Richmond on America’s major East Coast highway, the price was high, and one of America’s historic African American communities was altered beyond recognition.
These words are inscribed on the Navy Hill marker at Fourth and Jackson Streets:
“Love and memories never die as days roll on and years pass by. Deep in our hearts memories are kept of the ones we loved and shall never forget.”